College is expensive from Day 1. Although a majority of the costs can be determined ahead of time, there is no doubt that you will encounter costs from books, costs from hanging out, and even travel costs, if you attend school far from home. There are many ways that you can save money from all the costs. Here’s some ways, my friends and I have found ways to save money.
1. Tuition Reimbursement – Many companies offer tuition reimbursement but do not advertise it to employees. It is your job to find out whether a company does offer this and if you qualify. T-Mobile, Chase, and UPS are some companies that I know offer this. Keep in mind that some might require you to sign a contract that you will stay with them for an extended period of time.
2. Buying Books – Before you head straight to the bookstore, check online whether you might be able to find the book. Books are now offered thru rental services such as the one offered from the UNT bookstore.
3. Buy store brand food – Great Value should become your best friend while in college. The taste isn’t too different from the name brand and will save you a bunch.
4. Use Coupons – Sometimes it might take an hour or two to plan out your trip but saving $10 will be worth it if you are low on funds. Buy a newspaper or get one from you family and friends.
5. Get a membership to Sams or Costco. Buying in bulk can save you from weekly trips to the store for essential items like toilet paper or shampoo.
6. Reduce your utilities by making sure that all lights and electric outlet are left unplugged after being used. If you unplug all electronic devices or use a surge protector you can save a bit.
7. Share food expenses with roommates. Buying groceries separately doesn’t make sense if everyone can contribute equally to buy food. Make a list of everything you need before going to the store to avoid buying extra items.
The list doesn’t include everything that you can do to save money in college. What do you do to save money in college? Do you have a special trick? Let us know and we’ll add it to the list!!
Don’t forget to check out:
University of North Texas Student Union webpage: